1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey there! The Third Wave's public forum on psychedelics has been taken down. In its place, we've created a Members-Only Community available to our Microdosing Course members. If you're interested in the course and joining hundreds of other psychedelic explorers in our new community, don't hesitate to visit https://thethirdwave.co/microdosing-course/ or email us at [email protected] We hope to have you join us!

Recommended Books?

Discussion in 'LSD' started by Queen Of Something, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Queen Of Something

Queen Of Something Member

Oct 19, 2017
    England
    Hello everyone,

So I have almost finished reading "The Psychedelic Explorer's Guide: Safe, Therapeutic, and Sacred Journeys" by James Fadiman Ph.D. I have enjoyed every second of the book and would love to read some. (Would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in expanding their knowledge/history of LSD and therapy).

Anyone read any good books regarding
    psychedelics that they could recommend?

Thanks for all your help,
    Some girl in England.
    :D

2. MojoInTheSky

MojoInTheSky New Member

Nov 15, 2017
    Hello there, a really informative book that I recently read is called Acid Dreams: The complete social history of LSD, The CIA, The Sixties, and Beyond. Very good read that really digs into the nitty gritty of the substance.

Queen Of Something likes this.
  3. Queen Of Something

Oct 19, 2017
    England
    Thanks Mojo!

I have heard other review about 'Acid Dreams' and they have all been good.
    I'll definitely give it a read and let you know what I think :)

MojoInTheSky likes this.
  4. Queen Of Something likes this.
  5. Queen Of Something

Oct 19, 2017
    England
  6. showme

showme New Member

Jan 6, 2018
    Southeast Missouri
    LSD-My Problem Child, by Albert Hoffman. From the mouth of 'the man'!

7. Queen Of Something

Oct 19, 2017
    England
    Defiantly on my list :)
    Right now I have just started reading :
    DMT: The Spirit Molecule: A Doctor's Revolutionary Research into the Biology of Near-Death and Mystical Experiences
    by Rick Strassman M.D

8. showme

showme New Member

Jan 6, 2018
    Southeast Missouri
    Wow. If they ever make that book into a movie, they'll have to put up extra marque space to get the title up there! (therefore, I'll have to read it.) Thank you!

9. Queen Of Something

Oct 19, 2017
    England
    Great book so far. :) Had a big pile of books to get trough this year :)

10. I just finished "The Psychedelic Explorer's Guide: Safe, Therapeutic, and Sacred Journeys" by James Fadiman Ph.D. Unfortunately, I found the content to be heavily geared toward the spiritual aspect of psychedelics, which I feel is misleading and creates false expectations. Sure, it's an infinite universe and life is a mystery, but it's OK to take drugs for fun.

The account of Madeline with her carefully portioned quinoa salad almost made me stop reading. Perhaps I have become intolerant of the holier-than-thou microdosing trendoids in the SF Bay area. Perhaps I should just stay under my rock and shut up. I'm a nobody after all.

11. VanillaBoy

VanillaBoy New Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Hehe. Well, from memory, Madeline only pops up in one of the last chapters, so you're already on the home run. I'm not quite sure what quinoa is, but I get a bad feeling about it.

Spiritual is a funny word. It makes people squeamish. If it means knowing yourself better, then yeah I reckon psychedelics are totally spiritual. Fun? Yeah I remember going out with friends and finding magic mushrooms in the forest and hooning around, running up and down the hills in the middle of the night, larking. And it was funny, because it was right near where my violent and abusive stepfather used to have a farm, which was an utterly miserable place for me when I was a young kid. And it all of a sudden hit me that I was running around, having fun with friends, just like I should have been doing when I was a kid, but was too scared and suppressed. And the sorrow of all those days came over me in a big wave. And then I realized it didn't matter, because I was there now, free of the violence, I could have fun, be wild, shout and carry on.

That felt like a pretty spiritual experience. And fun.

Not a picture of an Indian guru in sight, nor the sound of Tibetan buddhist chanting.

Unpeeling layers.

Going deep.

Experiencing pain from the past and letting it go.

You don't need to learn Sanskrit.

12. VanillaBoy

VanillaBoy New Member

Dec 13, 2017
    And last time I took a full dose of acid was also mostly fun, down at the ocean in an out of the way spot, big waves, forest all around. Gorgeous. Except I've been going to that spot for about thirty years, I'm a lot older now than back then. I went there with my wife, when we were young and in love. Divorced now, well over ten years ago. And I felt very clearly that my body was getting older, some aches and pains, going a bit deaf, not the same young energy. And lots of thoughts about decay and old age started coming in. It was kind of poignant that the ocean was still exactly the same, that she'd probably seen lots of us grow old and die before her eyes. It wasn't exactly a calm, blissful feeling, but not unbearable. Like I'd rather it wasn't that way, but I felt that there was no point protesting, that's the way the universe is.

That's what I think of by "spiritual," not quinoa salad.

No denying psychedelics bring up heavy shit, particularly in the higher dose range.

13. Queen Of Something

Oct 19, 2017
    England
    Completely agree with you both. Psychedelics are fun. Acid and raving, shrooms and painting along to Bob Ross. Maybe the fun is spiritual ? Finding what really makes you happy. But hey, who knows; we are meat covered skeletons made of star dust, floating on a rock. Do what make you happy.

14. VanillaBoy

VanillaBoy New Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Ah! Another really great book is Stan Grof's "LSD: Doorway to the Numinous: The Groundbreaking Psychedelic Research into Realms of the Human Unconscious." He was a Czechoslovakian psychiatrist working behind the curtain in the 1960s, using LSD as part of a psycho-therapeutic approach. He was involved as sitter for thousands of psychedelic sessions, usually using a series of low doses (but not micro doses) with a patient, maybe ten doses. He saw a progression of stages that most patients passed through. He was really big on pre-natal experience, the impact of someone's experience in the womb prior to their birth. And before, he was quite into ancestral memories, the collective unconscious, people accessing memories from other times and periods, people experiencing becoming an animal and plant and so on. It's quite a technical book, he was writing mainly for other psychoanalysts.