1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey there! The Third Wave's public forum on psychedelics has been taken down. In its place, we've created a Members-Only Community available to our Microdosing Course members. If you're interested in the course and joining hundreds of other psychedelic explorers in our new community, don't hesitate to visit https://thethirdwave.co/microdosing-course/ or email us at [email protected] We hope to have you join us!

Psychedelic criminalization as a form of social injustice?

Discussion in 'General Discussion About Law' started by Dania Putri, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Dania Putri

Dania Putri Administrator Staff Member

Apr 5, 2017
    Dear psychonauts, have you checked out our recent article on the criminalization of psychedelics? In this piece, we summarize our thoughts on the ways we approach and deal with the consumption of psychoactive substances, and more importantly, on how psychedelic criminalization continues to serve as an obstacle to social justice.

You can read the full article here.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this!

2. Calvados71

Calvados71 New Member

Apr 17, 2017
    @Dania: Thank you. I am a lawyer who is interested in this topic. Would be pleased to exchange ideas offline and make myself available for the cause of psychedelic drug reform in the US.

Dania Putri likes this.
  3. Dania Putri

Dania Putri Administrator Staff Member

Apr 5, 2017
    Hi Calvados71, would be happy too! You can reach me at [email protected]

Best,
    D

Calvados71 likes this.
  4. Calvados71

Calvados71 New Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Thank Dania--Reaching out directly shortly.

5. HeraclitusSage

HeraclitusSage New Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Very educational and persuasive article.

I found the sections on medical treatment and ruining lives to be most persuasive. For me, social justice says, ‘this really matters.’ There might be an emotional connection like ‘I didn’t care about prison until my family member went there,’ or ‘I did not believe in paying for health care, until my child got sick and I saw the importance.’

The arbitrariness argument reminds me of Casey William Hardison’s British trial. The arbitrariness argument undermines the justification for life-destroying punishments.

Two other points come to mind (I don’t know if they’re connected or not).

First, I hypothesize that psychedelics can help a person to gain insight. Psychedelics may allow a person to ‘see through’ various assumptions and cultural norms, revealing the heart of matters. I wonder how much discomfort this awareness causes, both at a cultural and individual level? Examples might abound.

The second topic is self-fulfilling prophesies. Hostility toward psychedelics seems to promote the very outcomes it predicts. ‘Treat psychedelic use as dangerous and irresponsible, then and contaminated products, fewer safe settings, and fewer welcoming or understanding responses will meet the psychonaut. Again, it might be interesting to hear about personal experiences or examples.

Siebert Tenseven likes this.