1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey there! The Third Wave's public forum on psychedelics has been taken down. In its place, we've created a Members-Only Community available to our Microdosing Course members. If you're interested in the course and joining hundreds of other psychedelic explorers in our new community, don't hesitate to visit https://thethirdwave.co/microdosing-course/ or email us at [email protected] We hope to have you join us!

new to micro dosing for depression, set & setting essential ??

Discussion in 'Mushrooms Microdosing' started by Curtmuss, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Curtmuss

Curtmuss New Member

Dec 20, 2017
    U.K to N.Z to B.C
    Hi , have been off my ssri's for a few months now after 8 years for depression... Have been trying Saint johns Wort and 5 HTP with some good results but not great... I have 3g dried mushrooms split into 15 capsules, so 0.20 a cap.. I want to try these BUT have been a real low funk and pretty angry for the last couple days..... Cant seem to kick it.... Do you experienced M.D's advise being in a "good" head space for starting this?

I am a stay at home Dad (at the moment) to a pretty full on 3yr old boy (that causes me a lot of stress). Any advice thankfully taken

Cheers

Curt

2. My advice would be to get into a better headspace if you're feeling angry. One thing psychedelics are famous for is amplifying emotions, even at micro doses, so be careful especially since you're taking care of a 3 year old. You would never be able to forgive yourself if something happened to the little guy.

As for the depression, I personally stopped taking SSRIs back in 2005 because of health insurance idiocy. The only thing that pulled me through was ingesting cannabis, which numbed me out more than fix anything, but after about a year I didn't want to kill myself every morning.

Since 2011 I've gone back on Prozac 20mg daily and I find it works great with 10mcg LSD microdosing every three days. I've honestly never felt better in my life. Also, I don't use any recreational drugs other than LSD; no cannabis, alcohol, nicotine, etc. which I think makes a ton of difference. Maintaining good brain chemistry is very delicate.

Also, careful with the 5HTP. I believe it causes damage to the heart valves. After using it for a number of years I ended up with some problems with my left ventricle which have since healed. See 5-HTP: Doc Harris Presents Green Banana Award (Steven B. Harris, M.D.) BTW: I don't think St. John's Wort does a damn thing.

Queen Of Something likes this.
  3. VanillaBoy

VanillaBoy New Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Well, I don't know about getting into the right head space. If microdosing is a treatment for depression and anxiety - among many other reasons that people might be going down this road - then it's kind of putting the horse before the cart to say that you have to be in the right frame of mind even to start.

I'd just say, for the very first time, try to find a day where you don't have critically important tasks and you've got some support for looking after your boy. Even just having someone around who he gets on with, something like that. Particularly for the first time, you need to become aware of how you're going to react. Also, you may need to calibrate the dosage. The first time I took it, the dosage was probably 50% stronger than ideal, certainly enough to feel a bit jittery and not really into the idea of staring at a computer screen for hours. I got on my bike and road out and about, chatted with a few people in shops and markets, that kind of thing.

Since then, I've got more used to the effects. I've also lowered the dose.

4. Curtmuss

Curtmuss New Member

Dec 20, 2017
    U.K to N.Z to B.C
    Thanks for the replies,
    Well i'm thinking of stopping the SJW & 5htp as it just seems to have stopped doing what ever good it was.. Been in a hole for a few days now.... I guess if my mood doesn't improve i'l take a .20 capsule and go wander the hills nearby ...
    See how it goes.

I have tried these caps before, 1 cap for sure made me some what happy and heady, no visuals or "woke" feeling, huge draw to be outside (even though it was -10 !!). Its going to be Mushrooms or back on some Pharma med i guess.... Unless this funk disappears .

5. Queen Of Something

Queen Of Something Member

Oct 19, 2017
    England
    Good Luck and keep us updated on how it goes :)

Curtmuss likes this.
  6. Curtmuss

Curtmuss New Member

Dec 20, 2017
    U.K to N.Z to B.C
    Feeling slightly more Posi today, if i continue to feel like this or better in the nest 2 days il take a cap and go wondering.
    Cheers guys

7. VanillaBoy

VanillaBoy New Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Good luck! Just remember, even though microdosing and psychedelic treatment may have a more rapid affect than any other pharmaceutical treatment, the treatment of depression is still a long term project. With the traditional pharmaceuticals, people often give up because they don't feel rapid changes, so they think it's not working. Your own perceptions of whether a treatment is working can often be a bit deceptive. I think it's a good idea to make a program and stick to it for a reasonable set period, say 28 days or six weeks.

This is one of the reasons why I've been keeping a journal while I've been doing my MD course (day 18 today). I'd like to be able to read it back when I get to four weeks and see if patterns emerge that I don't quite catch on a day to day basis. Am I making different decisions? Getting more done? Making progress towards doing projects? That kind of thing.

8. Curtmuss

Curtmuss New Member

Dec 20, 2017
    U.K to N.Z to B.C
    Yeah i will be keeping notes etc , my gp & therapist are behind me too so i can bounce ideas/thoughts off them.
    Am going to begin today, with breakfast !

Thanks for the replies guys,means a lot.

9. Curtmuss

Curtmuss New Member

Dec 20, 2017
    U.K to N.Z to B.C
    So , i started this morning..... 1 capsule, i believe is .2g.. i took the cap with my breakfast and id say within 30-40minutes i was feeling the anxious/excited feeling , coming up kind'a feeling... very mild though, i played with my 3 yr old son and his Lego & listened to music , which was fun (but it always is) , i had some hot flashes and a couple of "woah" moments.... I went for a good long walk in nature with music on, got very lost in my thoughts and appreciated the sights (but i do always anyway).... General happy feeling, bit anxious and heady, for sure a bit "buzzy" but no visuals or trippy stuff. It lasted a good 7 hours !! i'm thinking it was too much for a MICRO dose ? anyone care to chime in? I mean i could've "snapped" out of it if needed, it almost wasn't a buzz,but it was... I spent the day either solo or with my wife & son, it was a good day in general, i feel fine now. Maybe i should take half a capsule next time ?? I'm very sensitive to "trippy" drugs.. Started a journal with it too. Would have been nice to be social and banter with people but then that would have been more about "buzzing"... Will go again in 3-4 days

10. Curtmuss

Curtmuss New Member

Dec 20, 2017
    U.K to N.Z to B.C
    Well , midday after the first M.D , hit the wall , soooooooooo tired , grumpy tired nearly... I noticed the uber tiredness when i tried these before a few months back. Normal or not ? I cant really be THIS tired around my family... Il try a smaller dose next time.

11. VanillaBoy

VanillaBoy New Member

Dec 13, 2017
    I dunno, I reckon it's not a matter of take the pill and feel good all day, although some people talk it like that. For me, it's more about gradual, persistent changes over weeks or months. On the other hand, if you take it and have a negative reaction, then maybe the dose is too high. So maybe the smaller dose is a good idea, and not expecting instant magic.

Good luck with it!

12. Queen Of Something

Oct 19, 2017
    England
    Have you been changing any other aspects of your life? Example diet, sleep pattern, exercise? These could also tribute to your tiredness ? I havn't tired microdosing yet so I can't really give the best advice apart from maybe look at other elements that could be affecting you :)

13. I always found it difficult microdosing with psilo because the dosage is so variable. If you have a big batch of powdered, dried mushrooms you can find the right amount with testing. Also, mushrooms cause a lot of "yawnies" for me, even with large doses, so I think some lethargy is to be expected.

14. Curtmuss

Curtmuss New Member

Dec 20, 2017
    U.K to N.Z to B.C
    Not expecting a one hit wonder !!! i know this process could take months, maybe years even, maybe will be just a part of my life from now on.... I will start over with a smaller dose though, i have faith in the mush

15. VanillaBoy

VanillaBoy New Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Have you tried another dose yet? Any luck with it?

16. Curtmuss

Curtmuss New Member

Dec 20, 2017
    U.K to N.Z to B.C

17. Curtmuss

Curtmuss New Member

Dec 20, 2017
    U.K to N.Z to B.C
    No not yet, have had crazy busy schedule the last 7 days and no real chance over the next 10 either..... I will get back onboard with a smaller dose once my life is back "normal"...... Christmas/family blurrrrrrrgh going on.. Il report back when i have some news! Thanks for the replies though guys, awesome!! oh , and happy new year to you all

18. Queen Of Something

Oct 19, 2017
    England
    Happy New Year :)