1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey there! The Third Wave's public forum on psychedelics has been taken down. In its place, we've created a Members-Only Community available to our Microdosing Course members. If you're interested in the course and joining hundreds of other psychedelic explorers in our new community, don't hesitate to visit https://thethirdwave.co/microdosing-course/ or email us at [email protected] We hope to have you join us!

Heroic dose according to McKenna

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms' started by Rios, May 22, 2017.

Have you done a heroic dose? (5 g dried)

1. Yes, it was enjoyable.

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Yes, but it was a bad trip.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, not interested.

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. No, but I want to.

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  1. Rios

Rios New Member

May 22, 2017
    Hello!

Recently watch a talk by Terence McKenna, where he discussed his philosophy on the heroic dose. He recommended doing it alone and the dark.

I just wonder if anyone have done this, and what your thoughts about it are.

Because I thought it sounded a bit extreme, to sit in dark for the entirety of the trip. Which can last hours.
    /Richard.

Dania Putri likes this.
  2. Erik

Erik Member

May 10, 2017
    Michigan
    Terrance McKenna was an amazing person. Verbally fluent, cogent, rational yet creative at the same time. What a mind. Listening to him string thoughts together is like psychedelic poetry.
    My personal experience with psychedelics is extremely limited, with micro dosing as the primary focus. Should favorable conditions arise however, I would not decline a "heroic dose". Hopefully I will be prepared mentally, physically and spiritually if an when the opportunity presents itself.

Queen Of Something likes this.
  3. garylopezwatts

garylopezwatts New Member

Aug 30, 2017
    i definitely support taking heroic doses, as that is the best way to grow certain of the purpose of any substance... it does sound extreme to trip in complete darkness for the entirety of a trip, and disappointment is a real possibility, i recommend doing what you enjoy most, that way we can be certain of our enjoyment.

4. Expat

Expat New Member

Oct 3, 2017
    I grew my first flush approximately ten years ago, and after a few preliminary trial-sized experiences I too emulated the Mayan technique of ingesting them in the dark, alone and without any external stimulation using what would qualify as a "hero dose" for me (100g of wet first flush Golden Teacher.)
    The experience changed my life. It wasn't the slightest bit frightening (the way I had read about ego loss from others' experiences on large quantities of ingested mushrooms) but it was awesome.
    Do it.

5. The Third Wave - Angela

The Third Wave - Angela Administrator Staff Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Hi All,
    I definitely agree with @garylopezwatts on doing what makes you feel comfortable. Some people like to be out in nature, others like to be secluded. It all depends on what feels right to you. I will say, with ayahuasca (which has DMT), the trips for me have a much more impactful effect when I retreat to my own corner, close my eyes and cover my face with a blanket. Light tends to play a huge role in how deep your mind allows you to go on entheogens. Take a look at this video for a great interview on what's happening with the brain on LSD (which gives a bit of insight into what happens when you close your eyes - minute 6:30 is where they address this):

Best - Angela

6. I think Terrence was suggesting this protocol for Politicians and Wall Street Investors. From my experience, heroic doses do not create heroes but rather drooling rabid nutjobs. Even Mr. McKenna refused to take any psilocybin later in life, following a rather frightening experience. James Kent outlines the hypocrisy in his podcast at DoseNation 1 of 10 - The Beginning of the End